- Staff member calls the code for an emergency.
- Business Office Manager/ Receptionist activates the Emergency Management System, dismisses all patients, and waits for the arrival of the EMS Unit to escort them to the office.
- The doctor is the team leader who identifies and confirms the code assigning the appropriate staff to perform tasks.
- Staff members follow their responsibilities. Dental Assistant brings the emergency kit and oxygen, Hygienist brings the AED and the assigned team members begin CPR if indicated. This team is known as the Rapid Response Team.
- The Rapid Response Team continues care until handed off to the EMS unit.
- A designated staff member notifies the patient’s family members.
- Follow up with care by contacting the patient afterward and assuring them their health is paramount and continued dental care will be provided when they are ready.
- Document all events comprehensively and immediately in the records.
Stuart J. Oberman, Esq.
Stuart J. Oberman is the founder and President of Oberman Law Firm. Mr. Oberman graduated from Urbana University and received his law degree from John Marshall Law School. Mr. Oberman has been practicing law for over 30 years, and before going into private practice, Mr. Oberman was in-house counsel for a Fortune 500 Company.
Read More =>