|Many patient record release forms do not follow the strict guidelines required for HIPAA compliance. Dentists using these forms face the risk of an alleged privacy breach. A HIPAA compliant patient record release form should contain the following elements:|
There are many opportunities for employee embezzlement to occur in a business or practice. There are, however, certain steps you can take to help prevent employee embezzlement. You must be diligent.
- Make smart hiring decisions
- Screen all potential employees
- Conduct background checks on all employees
- Educate yourself on how employees embezzle
- Protect your signature and identity
- Learn how to use your computer system
- Check your day sheets, audit changes, preview daily reports and question all adjustments
- Make sure to verify all credit card charges
- Be visible, vary your schedule, practice what you preach
A business or practice owner must take the necessary steps to prevent embezzlement. Review your policies and procedures, and begin implementing the specific preventative safeguards.
Informed consent is critical to clear and comprehensive patient communication. Patients should be well informed on the results of examinations, problems or potential problems.
State laws guide the implementation of formal, written informed consent. All procedures should be performed only with full written and signed informed consent. Informed consent is required so that the patient is told of the type of procedure planned, its intended outcome and benefits, and potential complications.
If a procedure or treatment is refused, the patient should be required to sign a treatment refusal form. This form may protect you if a claim arises.