|The most common malpractice claims occur after:|
|1. extraction procedures (extracting the wrong tooth, infections, etc.)|
2. endodontic procedures (infections requiring hospitalization, instruments broken in canals, nerve damage,etc.)
3. wrong implants (postoperative infections, fractured jaw, implants placed on nerves, etc.
4. bridge treatments (open margins, overhanging restorations, poor occlusion, etc.)
5. the patient develops periodontal disease
6. orthodontic procedures
7. anesthesia complications
9. injections (affecting/ damaging other nerves as lingual, alveolar, etc.)
10. adverse patient reactions to drugs
|For every dental procedure, the dentist should:|
|1. Have an informed consent form that all patients should sign before performing a procedure.|
2. Keep a detailed record of the patient’s history.
3. Maintain a record of the thorough treatment plan and financial services in the patient’s file.
4. Take clear and detailed notes, and include them in the patient’s file.