The following tips help practice owners reduce worker’s compensation expenses in their practices:
- Maintain a written safety policy.
- Have ongoing safety and health training specific to each job, including whenever new substances, processes, procedures, or equipment are introduced to the workplace.
- Use protective barriers to prevent skin and mucous membrane exposure when any contact with blood or other body fluids is anticipated.
- Prevent punctures through the careful handling of needles, scalpels, and other sharp objects which might penetrate the skin.
- Never recap, bend, or break syringe needles.
- Always dispose of needles and other “sharps” in a puncture-resistant container. “Sharps” containers should be located near where they are used.
- Use safe lifting practices with heavy objects and equipment.