There are many opportunities for employee embezzlement to occur in a dental practice. There are, however, certain steps you can take to help prevent employee embezzlement. You must be diligent.
- Make smart hiring decisions.
- Screen all potential employees.
- Conduct background checks on all employees.
- Educate yourself on how employees embezzle.
- Protect your signature and identity.
- Learn how to use your computer system.
- Check your day sheets, audit changes, preview daily reports and question all adjustments.
- Make sure to verify all credit card charges.
- Be visible, vary your schedule, practice what you preach.
A practice owner must take the necessary steps to prevent embezzlement. Review your policies and procedures, and begin implementing the specific preventative safeguards.