When developing a risk management plan for your practice, there are a number of areas to focus on. This general list will get you started, but it is very important that you identify and evaluate the risks unique to your own practice.
|Compensation and benefits
- Who has signing authority?
- How many signatures are required?
- Are there checks and balances?
- Was a complete screening completed on potential applicants?
- Were provincial human rights laws observed?
- Is there a set probationary period?
- Were promises made to the candidate that cannot be honored?
- Did the employee sign off on the policies and contract of employment before being hired?
|Occupational Health and Safety
- Do we provide safe working conditions and do we conduct safety checks regularly?
- Do we provide adequate training for staff?
- Do we ensure the use of appropriate clothing and safety equipment?
- Do we have adequate policies, procedures, and committee in place?
- Do we provide sufficient orientation and training?
- Do we provide adequate supervision (especially for activities that occur off-site or after hours)?
- Do we have a performance management system in place?
- Are personal information protection guidelines followed?
- Do we have clearly written position descriptions for all positions?
- Do we follow up when the parameters of the job description are not respected?
- Do we provide thorough orientation and training?
- Do we provide an employee handbook?
- Do we have comprehensive policies and procedures?
- Do we provide ongoing training about our policies and procedures?
- Do we retain written records of performance issues?
- Do we ensure that organizational valuables are secure?
- Do we have cash management procedures?
- Do we have adequate harassment policies and procedures?
- Do we retrieve organizational information and equipment that a dismissed employee used (especially from home)?
- Do we ensure that all access codes, passwords, etc are de-activated?
- Do we conduct an exit interview?
- Do we record lieu time and vacation balances?