There are many opportunities for employee embezzlement to occur in a business or practice. There are, however, certain steps you can take to help prevent employee embezzlement. You must be diligent.
- Make smart hiring decisions
- Screen all potential employees
- Conduct background checks on all employees
- Educate yourself on how employees embezzle
- Protect your signature and identity
- Learn how to use your computer system
- Check your day sheets, audit changes, preview daily reports and question all adjustments
- Make sure to verify all credit card charges
- Be visible, vary your schedule, practice what you preach
A business or practice owner must take the necessary steps to prevent embezzlement. Review your policies and procedures, and begin implementing the specific preventative safeguards.