Below is the “Top 10″ List” of potential poisons that were found in and around homes and yards of pet owners. The veterinarians at Pet Poison Helpline have compiled a “Top Ten List” most commonly reported during 2011.
1. Foods – specifically chocolate, xylitol, and grapes/raisins
2. Insecticides- including sprays, bait stations, and spot on flea/tick treatments
3. Mouse and rat poison – rodenticides
4. NSAIDS human drugs – such as ibuprofen, naproxen
5. Household cleaners – sprays, detergents, polishes
6. Antidepressant human drugs – such as Prozac, Paxil, Celexa and Effexor
7. Fertilizers – including bone meal, blood meal and iron-based products
8. Acetaminophen human drugs – such as Tylenol and cough/cold medications
9. Amphetamine human drugs – ADD/ADHD medications like Adderall and Concerta.
10. Veterinary pain relievers – specifically COX-2 inhibitors like Rimadyl, Dermaxx and Previcox.